Keith R. SmallMember
With over 30 years of experience as a practicing attorney, Keith represents government-sponsored entities, government agencies, institutional lenders and banks in connection with the financing of multifamily residential properties, including low-income housing and mixed use properties, as well as commercial real property, including office buildings, shopping centers, assisted living facilities, hospitality properties, shopping centers and industrial parks. He acts as counsel in connection with loan servicing matters, including loan assumptions, defeasance and property substitutions.
Prior to becoming a member of Reiferson Dee PLC, Keith was an Associate General Counsel in the Mortgage Law group at the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac) for over five years. He was responsible for providing legal advice to Freddie Mac’s Conventional Structured Finance group in connection with the structuring, origination, closing and servicing of complex loans transactions, including revolving credit facilities, large crossed and uncrossed loan pools, and multi-asset flow facilities. Keith also worked closely with the capital markets and asset management teams in connection with the Freddie Mac K deal securitization transactions, and he served as the primary attorney leading a team of in-house attorneys and outside counsel, paralegals and administrative assistants in conducting loan level due diligence to discover and document exceptions to the loan seller’s representations and warranties.
Before joining Freddie Mac, Keith was Of Counsel in the real estate department of the Tysons Corner, Virginia office of the Greenberg Traurig, one of the nation’s largest law firms. At Greenberg Traurig, Keith primarily represented institutional lenders in connection with the origination and servicing of loans for commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) issuances. He also represented borrowers in connection with federal, state and local housing assistance programs.
- Represented government-sponsored enterprise in connection with a $300,000,000 revolving line of credit secured by multifamily properties located in various states in the United States. Negotiated and drafted the transaction term sheet, as well as the credit agreement and other revolving credit facility documents. Dealt with numerous property-specific issues, including an unsubordinated ground lease, a fractured condominium regime and various shared use/shared access agreements and easements.
- Represented a state housing finance agency in connection with the multi-layered financing of a $600,000,000 multifamily housing project that had loans from several public and private lenders. Drafted agency loan documents and reviewed and analyzed several regulatory and financing agreements.
- Represented a large institutional lender in connection with a $600,000,000 loan to finance a state-of-the-art hotel. The hotel property was a part of a multiple unit condominium regime that required numerous shared use agreements for air rights, access and parking, as well as several zoning variances.
- Represented lender in connection with the simultaneous foreclosure of loans on 55 condominium units located in Maryland. Drafted all notices and demand letters, and filed necessary foreclosure documentation.
- Represented government agency in connection with the sale of loans totaling over $1,000,000,000. Performed due diligence and loan documentation, negotiated and drafted loan purchase and sale agreement and related documents, closed loan sale.
- Represented the servicing department of a large national bank in connection with a series of loan defeasances and loan assumptions spanning a two year period and involving over 200 loans.